O4lUXyVQ46wMAaj2G_m0TFZNT_g Sonshine Classical Academy: Week In Review 10/14

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Week In Review 10/14

In our homeschool this week:



We began our school week on Sunday this week.  It was a fun school day and not planned.  We got the Scientific Explorer's My First Dinosaur Science Kit out that I had purchased for Evan’s birthday party that was supposed to have a dinosaur theme, but we didn’t have the party.  With all that’s been going on, we just haven’t been able to do it.  Last week Evan kept asking to dig for dinosaurs and I just was in too much pain to do it and I would tell him “hopefully I’ll feel better tomorrow so we can maybe do it.”  Well, Sunday came and I just didn’t have the heart to say no again so I grabbed it and set it up for him…you should have seen the smile on his face.  I had every intention of pushing through the pain to do this with him…little did I know that it would take hours to dig out the bones.  Thankfully my mom was here so she supervised through part of it.  He loved it and I thought it was quite fun (minus the pain).  The kit has a couple of other projects that we have yet to do…another day.  I didn’t read the lessons about dinosaurs because, well, I won’t get into that.  Let’s just say that I disagree on some of the facts Winking smile.  Nevertheless, I would definitely give this kit Thumbs upThumbs up for the excavation part alone.  The kit also includes a glow in the dark build your own dinosaur and one of those little dinos that you put in water and watch  grow.  With the excavation part came safety goggles, excavation tools and the brick with the bones in it.  We really enjoyed this and it provided hours of fun for my little man.  I do recommend that instead of digging on newspaper, use a baking dish (or in our case a plastic disposable storage dish) to minimize the mess.  Another thing to note is that it seemed a little less messy and easier to dig when it was pretty wet (not too wet or it would be mud) but wet enough to keep it from becoming powder.
We worked on our week 2 lesson plan (from September, we’re a month behind and you can read about why HERE.) You can view our lesson plan HERE.  I am amazed that we were actually able to complete this week’s lessons given the fact that the steroid meds I had in my system to reduce pain have been dwindling away but I don’t want to fall even further behind on school.  So far I haven’t had to make any adjustments to my plan as far as curriculum is concerned which really surprises me. What we have now seems to be a good fit (you can view our entire curric. list and lesson plans HERE.) We’ll see as we continue through the year and the lessons get more difficult if it’s still a good fit. Our total time to complete all of our lessons (from curric.) works out to about 1 – 1 1/2 hours/day (not including read aloud and other “unplanned” learning). This has been very doable for Evan.
Literature:
We skipped the planned literature reading again…still haven’t made it to the library but we have plenty of other books here at home.  We did manage to fit in a couple of chapters in our Chronicles of Narnia series.   
Developmental/Readiness Skills:
A couple of things that I noticed during his readiness skills lesson on Tuesday from Developing the Early Learner: Level 1 were that the visual/memory 1 was REALLY easy for him and the motor/hand-eye 1 wasn’t so easy for him. I believe this has a lot to do with his lazy eye as he kept complaining that he couldn’t see very well during the tracing exercise.  He tried the M/HE 3 times each with a different color of marker and each time he improved quite a bit.  I used this “teachable moment” to explain to him the importance of practice and how the more one works on something (practice) the better one’s ability becomes.  He also did a splendid job on his Auditory/Memory 1 and Comprehension/Sequence 1.
Singapore Essentials K-A:
The focus this week was on Shapes, Patterns and Length.  Length was by far Evan’s favorite.  He enjoyed measuring everything!  I will say that I skipped some of the suggested-but-not-required extra steps to some of the lessons when it was obvious that no extra work was necessary for him to get the point. 
Evan made a request on Thursday to work with the MFW Number Puzzle Boards and Pegs so we did that after our "planned" work was finished.
Language Arts (SWR):
We are a little behind on writing the clock letters.  This week we did a,c & d.  We did them on the dry-erase board instead of using corn meal in a pan…I didn’t feel like adding any extra cleaning this week.  I’ll try to think of a different way to do it next week.  
Bible:
We are up-to-date on our lessons.  I really love the way Devotions for the Childrens Hour reads and the lessons it gives.  Evan doesn’t lose interest.  I had him pray instead of me prior to our lesson one day (can’t remember which day) and grandma heard and was quite impressed with how he prayed Winking smile.
Character Building:
I feel the same way about Child's Book of Character Building: Growing Up in God's World - At Home, at School, at Play, Book 1 as I feel about D4CH.  The lessons are short and easy  for Evan to understand.  I guide him through narrating them back to me by asking him questions.  He’s definitely paying attention…which is funny as his first lesson was about being attentive Thumbs up.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing:
I FINALLY went to the spine doc and found out my back’s fate.  Next week, at some point (the appt. hasn’t been made yet as we are awaiting approval from insurance) I have to get a steroid injection (one on each side of the spine) Sick smilewhich really freaks me out, followed by 4 weeks of physical therapy.  If that doesn’t work, the next option is surgery Sad smile.  It’s supposed to be an out-patient thing but in my mind, surgery is surgery.  I. Don’t. Want. It!  The doc said my chances are 50/50 Disappointed smile
On another note, the doc said that my back problem has nothing to do with my hip problem so I need to see an orthopedic surgeon to figure out what’s wrong with my hip, sigh.
Grandma & Papa and Nana spent a lot of time at our house this week again…helping out.  Here’s a picture of Owen walking in grandma’s shoes for a day:
P1050365
My favorite thing this week was:
I have a couple.
Refer to the above mentioned dinosaur digging project.  It was great fun and I loved seeing how excited Evan was every time he “unearthed” a new bone.
Another favorite moment (actually two) was when Owen (16 months old) gave me a kiss and a hug on separate occasions without my asking for it Red heart.
I’m grateful for:
I can’t say it enough.  I am soooooo thankful for all of the help that we’ve received these past couple of months from family and friends!  We really have no idea how we would have made it through this without them.
I’m praying for:
NO SURGERY on my back please…among many other things.

Just wanted to finish with this…it’s my favorite time of year:
177281617_h4hp1U0V_b


The Homeschool Mother's Journal
















This post is linked to No Ordinary Blog Hop,
 Preschool CornerHip Homeschool Hop, & Living Life Intentionally Linky Party .

19 comments:

  1. Buddyboy said, "Ya know, he really is doing SO good!" :o)

    Praying, praying, praying for you guys... and miss ya!

    BTW, we finally made it to Courageous, yesterday. It was the best movie we've seen at the theater in a long time. You guys have got to see it. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great week. Thanks for sharing about the dinosaur kit--neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hear you on the dinasour thing;) my oldest knows enough now to scoff at certain phrases in documentaries...cracks me up! prayers for your back:( hopped here from HMJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting about the Dinosaur kit. My son missed a dinosaur kit at co-op because his younger brothers were ill. I will definately check it out. So sorry to hear bout your back. I have a back and hip issue stemming from a car accident 12 years ago and my orthopedic surgeon has recommend surgery, shots etc. and for a varitey of reasons I just can't bring myself to do either. wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for following and I am following back:) I will be praying for you and your health concerns. I pray you won't need back surgery:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to all of you for your prayers. I can't wait to be able to play and explore again w/my boys...hoping the back/hip issues are fixed soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dino kit looked like a blast. I love stuff that keeps the kiddos busy.

    I'm praying your back feels better soon and doesn't require surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the dino kit!! What fun! Your back does not sound like fun!! Hope things at your house calm down soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are BIG dinosaur fans in our home!! Thanks for the ideas. I am starting a Linky Party if you want to link up at http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/2011/10/first-ever-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristie, not sure why it isn't linking up? I'm sad =-( I hate to tell you to keep trying if you've tried twice... but there are 30 something who it worked for... so not sure what's going on. It must just be one of those days =-)
    Beth (LivingLifeIntentionally)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not sure why it took so long, but it's linked up - 3 times =-) So now you should get 3x the traffic, right! Thanks for linking up!
    Beth (Living Life Intentionally Linky Party)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saw post on LLI Linky Party - my boys love dinosaurs too =-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're another dinosaur lovin family! Nice post. Oh, I found you from Living Life Intentionally LInky Party.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you may have a budding archeologist in the making! I'm praying for you and your back/hip problems.

    Thanks for visiting me at A Season for All Things. I'm your newest follower (and fellow homeschooler). ~ Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  15. The dino kit looks like so much fun! {I have to tell you how cute your boys are!!} I loved the Child's book of Character Building, it a book I am very, very glad to have used with our kids- I so highly endorse it.

    Hoping with you that you don't have to have surgery.

    much grace and peace to you this week,

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks again to all of you for your prayers! It means so much to me.
    Hen Jen, thank you for the complement. Although I might be a bit partial, I agree ;). It's encouraging to know that the CBCB was good for your kids. Thanks for the validation :).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, and thank you Ellen for following :). I have your blog bookmarked ;).

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are amazing! Doing what you do with a back injury?! Wow! Keep up the good work.. I know it can be challenging.

    Thanks also for the review on the Dinosaur kit! I have a budding archaeologist also, and will start looking for one of these for her.

    Great blog, by the way! I'll be praying for your back and hope that you find rest and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. PS- No my shoes weren't completely ruined... but certainly are a bit worse for wear! :/ Worth it for the memory!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Follow Me On Linky Followers

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Follow by Email

My Scrapbook Gallery