O4lUXyVQ46wMAaj2G_m0TFZNT_g Sonshine Classical Academy: Week in Review- 11/4

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Week in Review- 11/4

In my life this week:
I had 2 more injections this week.  One in my S.I. joint and another in one of the facets closest to the S.I. joint.  It. Really. Hurt!  But I’m happy to say that I do already feel some relief in my hip (I’d do a back flip if I could).  I’m not so sure I like the idea of having to go through pain to get rid of pain but if my hip gets some relief, it will be well worth it!
I also had to have 3 fillings replaced in my mouth.  I think I’m done with the shots for a while thank you. 
In our homeschool this week:
Bible:  Topics included:  How the baby Jesus was different from every other baby, the miracles of Jesus, Jesus becomes alive again, Jesus goes back to His Father in Heaven, & Jesus is coming again.
Character Building:  This week was focused on Diligence.
Readiness Skills:  We worked on Motor/Hand-Eye, Visual/Memory,  Auditory/Memory, & Comprehension/Sequence.  He did well with all of them except the Motor/Hand-Eye.  He had to color a rainbow.  He was only aloud to go outside the lines (in each line) a maximum of 3 times.  He exceeded 3 on every line.  He doesn’t care much for coloring.  He doesn’t have the patience for it.  Usually when he colors, he does really well for the first 5 minutes or so and then just scribbles.  I also keep in mind that he is only 4…I don’t expect his fine motor skills to be that great yet.  I also attribute this to his lazy eye.  With the previous counting against him, I think he did quite well!
P1050574
Math:  We finished the weight unit and began the capacity unit.  He had a lot of fun using the scale for the weight unit.
P1050543P1050549
Language Arts:  We’re still reviewing the 26 basic phonograms and writing clock letters.  I don’t want to move on to the next letters until he can comfortably do these…in very large writing.
Art:  We did a couple of things.  First, I saw this great idea on another blog (I thought I saved the blog in my favorites but when I went to look for it to provide a link to it I couldn’t find it…sorry mystery blogger).  She (the unknown blogger) took a canvas, or rather a couple, and used Elmer’s Glue to draw a design on it (I believe it was actually her kids that did this).
P1050503P1050505P1050519
Let the glue dry, then paint away.  So we did this and it was fun.  I did the glue on 2 and Evan did one.  Then I let him paint 2 and I painted one.  I’ll leave it a mystery as to who did what on which…although I’m sure you might be able to figure it out.
P1050525P1050527P1050537
You can’t really tell from the pictures but the texture from the glue really does show.
We also made a ‘basket of thanks’ from an idea that I had after viewing this.  We started working on it a little late so we didn’t get to work on it as long as I would have liked…so we lined it with tissue paper to keep our papers from falling out.  The idea is, for the month of November until Thanksgiving, each family member writes (or dictates) one thing that they are thankful for each day and puts it in the basket.  On Thanksgiving you read them all.  We did this last year and decided that this would become a tradition.  I just need to figure out how to make the perfect ‘basket of thanks’.  We’ll just keep trying each year.  Eventually we’ll come up with something that we like.
I’m cooking:
7Up Biscuits
P1050538
I found this SUPER EASY recipe for rolls.  I love home made rolls but don’t have the patience to let it rise, kneed it, let it rise, etc.  So this recipe only has 4 ingredients…FOUR…that’s it!  No kneading, no waiting for it to rise.  It took me about 5 minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to bake (the recipe said 12-15 minutes but for some reason my oven usually takes longer).  So here is the recipe.  They’re called biscuits but I’d say it’s a cross between a roll and a biscuit…a riscuit if you will.  Yes, I created a term for it…you can quote me if you want Winking smile.


This post is linked up with The Homeschool Mother's Journal, Preschool Corner, LLI TGIF, No Ordinary Blog Hop, Feature Yourself Friday, Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers, Hip Homeschool Hop & Finding New Friends.  Check out their links in the sidebar.

13 comments:

  1. I love that glue painting! I think I will have to give it a try with my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the "riskit" idea - gonna have to try the glue painting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw that glue art project on Pinterest this week and am thinking of trying it with my girls. Good to hear the design shows up well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such fun crafts & ideas! The 7up biscuits look great!! Not sure if this is where you originally saw it or not, but I saw it a couple weeks ago here - http://thechaosandtheclutter.com/archives/1278
    Thanks for linking up to TGIF LInky Party =-) Can't wait to see what else you come up with!!!
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the art work - great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The rolls look super yummy! Looks like a wonderful week with lots of fun activities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch! Sounds like your were a pin cushion this week! Let's hope no more needles for QUITE some time! (Glad your hip is feeling better though!)

    LOVE the Elmer's Glue artwork! We really need to get an art day in! (We usually take Friday and do nature studies and art OR a field trip. With the weather still seasonable, we've been doing field trips!)

    Yummy rolls! I think I need to make some bread this morning! LOL (I make bread in a bread machine! No mixing, kneading! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the glue painting! Thanks for sharing- we're always looking for ideas for Craft Monday at our house:) I also have to try your "riscuits."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I missed seeing the recipe for the rolls. Help. They look yummy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous, here is the link addy:
    http://monstermama-monstermama.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-10-04T09%3A30%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=7

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOooo, I'm going to have to bookmark this post! I love the glue on canvas idea! This would make great Christmas gifts for the grandparents! I hope you feel better too and stay away from shots for awhile! Thanks for linking up to NOBH! Glad to have you on board!

    Did you know that NOBH has been nominated for the Homeschool Blog Awards in the "Best Family/Group Blog". Go to the NOBH home page (http://noordinarybloghop.blogspot.com/ ) to find out how you can vote for our hop if you feel lead to do so! Thanks! Tracy at "A Slice of Smith Life"

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know the feeling of being a pin cushion! I have to do that for my chronic migraines too. But it is worth the pain to have relief in the weeks to come..
    Cool ideas, I will file away the glue painting idea, and will save the bread recipe - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that glue painting idea! So great that we have such an amazing way of sharing all these cool ideas!
    Ang
    (new follower!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Follow Me On Linky Followers

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Follow by Email

My Scrapbook Gallery