This Easter we will be doing a few things to celebrate the resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in addition to attending church. We do not do the Easter Bunny but we do color eggs and have a hunt…but the emphasis is always on the true meaning of Easter.
Since it was so successful last year, we will be doing a repeat of our resurrection cookies complete with a wonderful lesson on the meaning of Easter. We will do this on Saturday night…since they won’t be ready till Sunday morning and that’s when you get to the part of the lesson where the tomb was empty (Praise GOD). You can see this lesson in a post I did last year (complete with pictures) by the title of A Sweet Easter Lesson. I really loved this lesson and plan on it being a tradition.
Another thing we will be doing is a poem (with the jelly beans that will be found in the plastic eggs we hide) that briefly describes what Jesus did. We did this last year as well and you can read about that in my post by the title of I Love Easter…so fun!
We will be adding a new thing this year…resurrection eggs. I will be hiding these along with the other plastic eggs. This is not an original idea…I’m sure many of you have heard of this. I have been wanting to do this this year but didn’t want to buy them because they can be quite spendy and I didn’t have the time to hunt down all of the pieces needed. I was so thankful when I went to my Lifer Moms group at church and there was a wonderful mom there who went to the trouble of getting all of the pieces for all of us moms…what a saint . She changed it up a little but I like the change. Here’s what you do:
Get 12 plastic eggs and number them 1-12.
In each egg, put the following pieces, in order:
1. Palm Leaf: As Jesus entered Jerusalem, palm branches were laid before Him. John 12:12-13
2. Cracker: Jesus ate the Last Supper with His disciples. Matthew 26:26-29
3. Flower: Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane. Matthew 26:36-44
4. Penny: Judas was promised money if he betrayed Jesus. Mark 14:10-11
5. Rope: The guards came to arrest Jesus. John 18:2-3, 12
6. Cross (just cut a couple of pieces of pipe cleaners and wrap one around the other): Jesus died on the cross. John 19:16-19
7. Nail: Jesus is mocked, ridiculed and crucified. Mark 15:21-32
8. White Cloth (this wonderful mom even sprayed this cloth with perfume): Jesus’ body was wrapped in linen clothes for burial. John 19:38-40
9. Rock: A large stone was rolled in front of the tomb opening. Matthew 27:65-66
10. Three: Three days after Jesus died, some women went to the tomb. Matthew 28:1-4
11. Empty: Jesus wasn’t in the tomb! He had risen! Matthew 28:5-9
12. Cotton (this is what she added): Jesus said to tell others about Him. Then he went up to Heaven. Acts 1:8-11.
Once all of the eggs are found, we will do the lesson and the jelly bean poem.
I hope you all have a wonderfully blessed Resurrection Day!